UST Libraries Courier Service
Need a book from the Doherty Library at UST?
- The Cardinal Beran Library offers a courier service for all students with an active UST student ID.
- To use the courier service, fill out the "ILL" form on library page of the St. Mary's website.
- You will pick the item(s) up at the Beran circulation desk.
- When you're done with the item(s), simply drop them off at Beran. We will return them to Doherty.
If an item you would like to use is currently checked out, you can place a "recall" on the item.
See the librarian and ask that the item be recalled. The patron with the book will have a week to return it.
We will email/call you that the item is available as soon as it is turned in.
Fines for items that have been recalled are $1 a day.
Access & Borrowing
- Borrowing privileges are open to all currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff of the University of St. Thomas. A current UST identification card or photo identification card and UST identification number are needed to obtain a Beran Library card.
- Alumni of the School of Theology, in good standing, retain limited circulation privileges.
- Priests and deacons of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston have limited circulation privileges.
- If a student, faculty, or staff possess an active UST library card they may request an item be shipped from the Doherty Library to the Cardinal Beran Library. This privledge is not extended to "Friends of the Library," alumni, or priests and deacons.
- A “Friends of the Library” card may be purchased for $40 a year granting the card holder limited circulation privileges.
Borrowing materials from the Beran Library is a privilege. Habitually overdue items, excessive fines, and disregard for library policies may result in the loss of borrowing privileges.
Circulation & Renewals
- A UST ID or Beran Library card must be presented during checkout. Library cards must be renewed each academic year.
- Renewals may be done online through the patron’s library account (preferred method), over the phone or email. Please return or renew materials on or before the due date. Only library accounts in good standing will be allowed renewals.
- Reserve materials may be checked out for 24 hours with no renewals. Only one reserve material may be checked out at a time.
- ILL materials may be checked out for 21 days; renewal request are at the discretion of the lending library. ILL materials follow the same fine schedule as Beran Library owned materials.
- After the maximum number of renewals have been reached all items must be returned to the library. If there are no hold request and the account is in good standing the library may extend, as a courtesy, an addition 21 day checkout period.
- All books are due by the last day of the semester. Students not returning overdue materials before the end of each semester are subject to holds with the registrar.
- Returning students may borrow materials over the Summer. Books are due the first day of the Fall Semester.
- Books may be checked out over the Winter Break and are due the first day of the Spring Semester.
Getting Materials from other Libraries
Materials from other libraries are available to current St. Mary's students and faculty/staff through Interlibrary Loan.
- To request materials via ILL, fill out the ILL request form available on the St. Mary's website: HERE.
- The interlibrary loan librarian will request the item for you, and contact you once the item is in transit. Items generally take 7-14 days to arrive.
- Once the item has arrived, the ILL librarian will notify you, and you will pick the item up at the Beran circulation desk. when the item is due, return it to the Beran library (please inform the librarian on duty you are returning an ILL item).
- Renewals are possible, depending on the lending library. If you would like to renew your item, please email the interlibrary loan librarian (Amanda Renevier at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Only items (including non-circulating items) the Beran library does not own can be requested through ILL.